Scroll through other Ipswich Real Ale pubs
Re-opened February 2010 after many years as a restaurant (under various names) and an off-license.
The pub sign is wonderfully redolent of Stalin-era Soviet propaganda posters -
"Comrades! Tractor production has increased by 50% during the current five year plan!"
The fact that this pub is listed from 1881 as the "New Gardeners' Arms" suggests that the building dates from about that time, replacing a different building of the same name located somewhere nearby (probably on the other side of road). It was also still known as the New Gardeners Arms as late as 1928. It closed as the Gardeners Arms in 1994, when the building became an off-license warehouse.
Also see Old Gardener's Arms
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information by Chris Stanton)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)