Ipswich Friars Headhistorical era: late 20th century
closed January 2nd, 1972
last owner Tolly Cobbold
33 Friars Rd
grid reference TM 161 444Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 11/04/2015
Friars Rd. ran roughly SSE from where the current Willis building is to the east end of Wolsey St. The pub stood on the eastern junction of Friars Rd. and Friars St. where the two met Princes St.
Also listed (1844) as Friar's St.
A Victorian brewery was located here.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 28 Nov in 1846 states that :
Auction of the Friar's Head, Ipswich, comprising a bar-room & large parlour, 2 chambers & an arched cellar, together with a yard, brewhouse & other buildings at the back, in the occupation of Mr FARRITT.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 23 Jan in 1857 states "To be let, with immediate possession, a free beer-house, situate near the Cattle Market. Coming-in about £15 - Apply at the Friars Head Inn, Ipswich."
A advert in the Ipswich Journal** in Dec 1895 states that :
Friar's Head, Friars Street, Ipswich. Noted House.
Charrington, head and Co.'s London Stout and Porter. Always on draught.
Tollemache Bros. Fine Ales in splendid condition.
Spirits of the best quality including: Finest London Gin and old Jamaica Rum, John Jameson's Old Irish Whiskey, and our Glen Garry Special Scotch. Once tried, always; also Martell's very old Brandies and choice wines.
Bass's bottled ale and Guinness's Stout. Proprietor, Jas. Howlett.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Cosure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)