previously known as Eastern Union Railway, Railway Hotel
opened 1850 circa
36-38 Croft St, IP2 8EB
grid reference TM 163 434
View in Google Earth
last updated 11/04/2015
Sadly the nicely etched windows were removed early in the 21st century, but the distinctive exterior tiling has been retained.
Reported in Albert St. in 1861.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Oct 1850 states :
Mr Amos Fisk, EUR Hotel, opposite the Railway Station, Ipswich, is retiring from the management of the above Inn and wishes to recommend his successor Mr Henry Flaxman, formerly of the Kingâ€™s Arms Inn, Woodbridge.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Feb-01 in 1887 when Francis Bletsoe Fuller was the landlord states that :
Fuller was given 3 months for the unlawful wounding of his wife. The couple had been together for 35 years and the judge thought that 3 months in jail help resolve his drink problem.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
The Eastern Union Railway was opened for public passenger traffic in June 1846 from an end-on junction with the Eastern Counties Railway at Colchester to a terminus at Ipswich which now forms part of the Great Eastern Main Line. Ipswich station later moved to the site of the present station after the tunnel was completed.