Ipswich Duke of Sussex
previously known as Duke of Northumberland, Duke of Cumberland, Cumberland Arms
opened c. 1860
closed 1975 ish
2 Cumberland St
grid reference TM 155 450
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 29/03/2016
In 1932 and 1939 a separate beer retailer is listed at 55 Ann St., which is an adjacent (adjoining?) building. The landlords were Frederick Finch and Frederick James Finch jun. in 1932, and just Frederick James Finch jun. (See historical section.)
New flats at the back include Duke of Sussex in name.
At a Petty Sessions hearing on 29 September 1860 the Duke of Sussex, Ann Street, St. Matthews was refused a new spirit licence. Out of the twenty four applications only three establishments were granted licences.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 18 May in 1861 states that :
Matthew HINES admitted keeping his beer house , The Duke of Sussex, Ann Street, St Matthews, Ipswich open during prohibited hours. Fined 5s & costs.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Sep 1870 states that :
John Ringham was applying for a full license for his house which was in a part of town that was increasing, and a spirit license would be a great convenience. He had formerly kept a beer and eating place in Carr Street. Application refused.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Petty Sessions info from Ipswich Journal (Kim Jennings).
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)