Scroll through other Ipswich closed premises
Listed in 1823 as a commercial inn, and 1855 as a posting house, and in 1874 as the "Crown & Anchor Family & Commercial Hotel & posting house".
In 1912 was listed as a commercial hotel & motor garage.
Now a WH Smith shop.
An early 20th century fine stone facade hides a much older building.
listed building grade II
last updated 01/09/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
"The man resposible for this sonework re-fronting of The Crown & Anchor Hotel was one of the foremost 19th century Ipswich architects, Thomas W. Cotman, nephew of the famous watercolourist, John Sell Cotman. His use of stone, not a characterisitic local building material in Ipswich, for business premises is unusual and can be seen in other fine town buildings including the nearby Lloyds Chambers on Cornhill" (Ipswich Borough Conservation Officer, Bob Kindred)