Ipswich Coach & Horseshistorical era: late 20th century
opened 1787 or earlier
closed after 1977
41 Upper Brook St
grid reference TM 164 444Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 08/01/2017
The Coach & Horses was listed in 1855 as a posting house and in 1874 as a "Commercial and Family Hotel and posting house". It was a staging post for the "Old Blue", a coach which ran from Gracechurch Street in London and onwards to Saxmundham and Beccles.
Now shops, the building dates from the 17th or 18th century. It was originally built as a merchant's house but converted into an inn by 1787. Evidently it was a cyclist-friendly hotel; a prominent Cyclists' Touring Club plaque can still be seen on the wall.
It's listed in the most up-to-date available Ipswich licensing records as open until at least 1977.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(information from Dudley Diaper)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Coach & horses became a means of transport for many travellers during the 17th and 18th cent. especially for those who could not afford their own vehicle. As regular services evolved, they soon encouraged many inns enroute to become natural stopping points for refreshments - with journeys broken into stages (about 8 miles) - and many eventually provided stabling to enable regular changes of horses. Their demise started in 1840s with the building of the railway network.