Scroll through other Ipswich fizz-only pubs
Large two bar pub, reputedly originally built in 1815 to accommodate troops billeted in the area. The present building dates from some time between 1904 and 1927; older maps showing the pub only occupying a smaller building located where the eastern end of the present pub now stands. This has since been demolished.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
The "Case is Altered" was first used by an Elizabethan lawyer, Edmund Plowden and referred to new evidence in a legal case. Later Ben Johnson - an Elizabethan playright - also used it as a name for a comedy (written before 1599).
Mick Holland also reports that the name "case is altered" probably came from the peninsular war (during Napoleonic wars) where the Middlesex regiment were stationed at Casa de Altoria in Spain helping the Spanish and Portuguese forces defeat the French army between 1808 to 1814. At the end of the conflict soldiers were given land and money for their part and several opened pubs named after the town where they were stationed. The name got changed over the years to the "case is altered" hence the fact that today they are all over the country.