Ipswich Blue Coat Boyhistorical era: late 20th century
38 Old Cattle Market
grid reference TM 163 443Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 19/06/2017
Built in 1620 and much extended in the 18th and 20th centuries, this Grade 2 listed building is now used as shops and a nightclub.
Reputedly very popular with US servicemen during the Second World War (the US military still adhered to strict Jim Crow segregation, so only black servicemen were allowed in, with white ones using other local pubs).
It was also very popular on market days when the nearby cattle market (now used as the bus station) was still in use.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
A "blue coat boy" was a general term for a scholar at a charity school. The Cardinal College of St Mary in Ipswich was a college "school" founded by Cardinal Wolsey and linked to what eventually became Christ Church at Oxford. This school was built and flourished very briefly (1528-30) but soon fell with its founder. Henry VIII subsequently ordered these school buildings to be dismantled - except the chapel and the watergate - for their materials to be used elswhere. Another Blue Coast school was later built in the Wherstead Rd/Vernon St junction area close to the St Peter's workhouse and can be seen on Victorian maps of this area.