CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 14/01/2017
Westerfield Whyte Lyonhistorical era: ancient
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, January 10th 1730***, to the Whyte Lyon at Westerfield Green.
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, September 8th 1733***, to Mr Palmer at the White-Lyon on Westerfield-Green.
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, September 18th 1736***, to the Lion on Westerfield Green
This may be an older name for the Swan, which originally stood on Westerfield Green in a building now known as the Slade. This building closed as a pub in 1829 following the enclosure of the Green.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)