Metfield Red House
grid reference TM 294 804
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.
last updated 11/04/2015
A beerhouse is shown at this location on the 1884 OS map. It doesn't appear on the 1905 or 1928 maps so presumably closed between 1900 (the time of the last landlord entry found) and that date. It was certainly closed by 1909, as the Rate book of that year lists it as "Late PH".
The building at this location has a sign, "The Red House". The beerhouse probably only took up a small part of the building, but it isn't clear which.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 22 Nov in 1883 states that :
On 22nd November, 1883, in the Stradbroke Sessions, the licence of the Red House, Metfield was transferred from John SQUIRES to George William SQUIRES.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)