Scroll through other Ipswich closed premises
The Ocean Queen and Original Ocean Queen are separate pubs.
The 1861 & 1871 censuses record the pub in Barnards Place, the 1881 census recorded them with three properties between them, and the 1891 census recorded the pub in Ocean Queen Yard.
The Ocean Queen had a dubious reputation in mid to late Victorian era with four adjacent two roomed cottages in the yard. Each cottage had a young female "housekeeper". The landlord also kept a menagerie of birds, monkeys and dogs.
Pub closed after most of building was destroyed on Feb 27, 1941 during an air-raid on town. Post war redevelopment saw a bank being built on site - now converted in 2013 to the Briarbank brewery.
last updated 28/12/2013
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
NOTE: A messuage equates to a dwelling-house and may include outbuildings, orchard, curtilage or court-yard and garden - this may have been an earlier structure to the current property.