Hepworth Duke of Marlborough
previously known as Marlborough Head
Bury rd (A143), IP22 2PY
grid reference TL 988 740
View in Google Earth
last updated 22/03/2015
The premises were extensively renovated and extended 2010-2011, after the pub closed. It stood empty for several years and is now trading as a 50's style restaurant and called the Lollipop Diner; there is a nice nod to the building's history with the retention of the pub sign at one end of the premises.
It has been (incorrectly) listed as being in Wattisfield.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
John Churchill (1650-1722) was the first Duke of Marlborough and became a famous soldier & statesman under James II, William III and Queen Anne - who gave him not just the title but also Blenheim Palace from a grateful nation after winning the War of Spanish Succession.