South Cove Chequerhistorical era: before 1840
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.last updated 11/04/2015
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 17 Oct 1801 states that :
Sale details of the old-established and good accustomed Public House called The CHEQUER, in South Cove, Suffolk; stable, outhouses, garden and hemp-land in the occupation of Daniel BUGG, tenant at will.
Having studied licensing records from 1874 through to 1967 and found no sign of it, we conclude this pub must have closed before 1874. Unless it's an older name for the Five Bells, which is a possibility.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)