Scroll through other out-of-area Bures pubs
Until 1884, the premises was actually located in the Parish of Bures Hamlet. In those days, Bures Hamlet owned parcels of land all around Mount Bures including the site the pub stands on and also the field behind. The change came about on 24th March 1884, when the land was transferred into the parish of Mount Bures and is actually located in Essex on modern maps.
In 1869, the the building (now known as the Thatchers) was sold at auction at the Three Cups Hotel in Colchester as the "Thatchers Public House" with Charles Eley as the Licensee. This was the time it obtained its first full licence.
In 1892 Mrs Ann Downes (widow of the owner) conveyed the property over to Greene King, Brewers of Bury St Edmunds. The conveyance also included the two fields known as the "Rumps" (5 acres) and "Backhouse" (5 acres).
In 1977 Corrie and Gerald Lock purchased the Thatchers from Greene King Brewery but the beer on sale continued to be IPA and Abott.
In more recent times a restaurant extension was built and named "Garners Tye" after the field of the same name to the rear of the pub.
Adnams Bitter & Crouch Vale Brewers Gold with guest ales change regularly, mainly from local microbreweries such as Nethergates, Mauldons & Mersea Island.
Bures is part of the Bures St Mary parish
last updated 26/03/2013
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Details with thanks to pub website (Jan 2011)