Sudbury Coffee Househistorical era: ancient
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 11/04/2015
Sandy Castle**** (from NZ) tells us that they have the will of Robert Hubbard dated 25th Oct 1791 which states he was a Victualler of Sudbury in the county of Suffolk. He must have known he was very sick as he died a few short weeks later (on 18th Nov 1791 aged 43yrs). He also named and bequeathed to his wife and six children.
Robert Hubbard was Sandy Castle's 4x great grandfather and was mentioned in the Ipswich Journal**** on 9th June 1787 as follows:
To be sold by auction by William Oliver On Saturday 23rd June 1787 between the hours of Four and Six o,clock in the afternoon at Mr Robert Hubbard,s at the Coffee House in Sudbury...It then goes on to record the contents and description of the farm to be sold.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Oct 1815 states that :
To be sold by auction, at Sudbury, to brewers and others. A very valuable freehold estate called the, Coffee House, eligibly situated near the market place, with a capital brew office, now in the occupation of Mrs E Hubbard, and in full trade.
The Suffolk and Norfolk Telegraph**** on 5th Dec 1827 records the death of Robert Hubbard wife ...Mrs Hubbard many years landlady of the Coffee House Inn.
Their daughter Susannah Hubbard married John Hitchcock in 1804. The Hunt and Co Ltd Directory of the inhabitants of Suffolk lists John Hitchcock in 1823-1824 when his address was Coffee House Inn in Sudbury. (Death notice of his wife Susannah also mentioned below).
Found via IGI family search website**** is the death of another daughter Sarah Hubbard aged 29yrs Burial 5th Aug 1818 Her residence was also recorded as, Coffee House Inn Sudbury.
In 1823 Pigot's Directory lists the Phenomena coach that left the inn daily at 1pm to London. The Phenomena also left the inn daily at 1pm to Norwich via Bury & Ixworth.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 19 June 1840 states that :
Died, in London, on 31 May 1840, aged 20, of a decline, William, 4th son of the late Mr John HITCHCOCK of the Coffee House Tavern, Sudbury.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 16 Sep in 1840 states that :
To let, the Coffee House Inn, Sudbury, contact Mr T. GOLDSMITH;The following week (23 Sep 1840), the Furniture, Stock & New Brewing Plant of Mr Geo. SIGGERS, of this inn, were being advertised for sale.
Sandy Castle has also tried to find out more on the demise of The Coffee House. One report states it was demolished in c.1840 to make way for a corn exchange (which was wound up in 1969) that now houses the Sudbury Public Library?? Another report says it was the Angel Inn which was demolished?? I don't suppose anyone would know anything about that do you?
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 25 June 1856 states that :
Died, on 17 June 1856; Mrs Susanah HITCHCOCK, aged 76, many years landlady of the Coffee House Inn, Sudbury, & mother of Mrs SPURGIN of the Bull inn, Ipswich.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** historical information from Sandy Castle)