Ipswich Porters Lodge
opened 1815 circa
St Nicholas rd
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 11/04/2015
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in July 1815 states that :
To be sold by auction, Lot 3, The newly erected brick built freehold messuage and public house, called the, Porter's Lodge, situated in the parish of St. Nicholas, together with stable, yard and large garden adjoining; also an exceedingly convenient, new erected and well suitable coal warehouse, next to the public road, with the said garden at the back thereof, communicating with the River Gipping, capable of containing 3 or 400 cauldrons of coals. Land tax redeemed.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Sep-16 in 1829 when Samuel Oldham was landlord states:
A coroners inquest was held at the Royal William public House on the body of Mr Samuel Oldham aged 45, landlord of the Porters Lodge who was found drowned in the Gipping near Deep Corner. In evidence it was deposed that Oldham had been in low spirits for some time. It was supposed that this was due to a law proceeding against him for debt. Oldham had lately kept the Griffin and was an industrious man much respected.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
NOTE: A messuage equates to a dwelling-house and may include outbuildings, orchard, curtilage or court-yard and garden - this may have been an earlier structure to the current property.