Ipswich George III
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 23/04/2015
A notice in the Ipswich Journal** in Mar 1825 states that :
Reported in the Ipswich Journal in March 1825. Wednesday last Richard Davy, who keeps the George the Third Inn, in this town, was convicted by Frederick Francis Seekamp and Benjamin Brame, in the penalty of £5 for having kept open his house at late hours in the night of Saturday last, and suffering drinking and disorderly conduct therein, contrary to the Act of Parliament for the better regulation of public houses.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Aug 1825 states :
To be sold by auction, unless previously disposed of by private contract, the George the Third, Ipswich, (along with 6 other Suffolk public houses, Admiral's Head, Blue Coat Boy, Bell on the Corn Hill, Bricklayer's Arms in Globe Lane, Porto Bello, in Ipswich and the Pye at Stonham). Any person desirous of purchasing all the above houses may be accommodated with a freehold brewery and plant, nearly all new, capable of brewing upwards of 7000 barrels of beer a year; together with an extensive beer and spirit trade, to which may be added the wine trade, with store rooms, vaults, liquor warehouses, hop lofts, two counting houses, stables for 12 horses, with hay and straw lofts, coach house, cooperage, cart sheds, yards, etc. An excellent built malt house, 48 coombs steep, with barley chambers capable of containing 700 quarters, malt shops and granaries that will contain 2000 quarters of malt; a convenient Mansion in front, and cottage adjoining, with another cottage at the back entrance. Possession may be had at Michaelmas or Christmas, or later if required.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)