Haverhill Australian Arms
48 Hamlet Rd, CB9 8QQ
grid reference TL 677 448
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 18/06/2015
Found closed and boarded-up May 2010 and believed to have been closed for some time before that. In May 2011, planning permission was granted for its conversion into flats.
A last surviving pub in town that was formerly owned by the Christmas brewery.
Also listed at 28 Hamlet Rd.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Pub name comes from an Australian workforce that was used to construct the nearby Sturmer Arches railway viaduct - a three-arch structure 25 feet high that was built about 1890 to link Colne Valley and GER lines - so enabling traffic from Sudbury to Cambridge.