Former 16th cent. courthouse converted to a pub during 18th cent, though still used for the petty sessions after conversion, these were reported to be held in the Crown Inn in 1766.
Renovated during the summer of 2013 and now stocks beer from Brewshed brewery.
Brewshed Best & Pale, Greene King IPA & Abbot
listed building grade II
Local licensing authority for Hartest is Babergh
last updated 10/02/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
The crown is a simple sign to show loyalty to the reigning monarch and apart from the commonwealth era (1648-60) has been a pub sign for over 600 years.