Ipswich Bear & Crown
grid reference TM 161 446
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 18/03/2016
It seems likely that the Bear & Crown occupied what's now two shop units immediately east of the building we have pictured as the Suffolk Hotel. In 1888 it was recorded that "[it] some years ago became absorbed in the Suffolk Hotel". The 1830 drawing of the Suffolk (before they were joined) occupying the whole of the three-story building, with a gap to the west of it, so making it unlikely that the Bear & Crown was that side. In addition, we're told that there are pub cellars under the shops, so if they weren't occupied by the Bear & Crown they're certainly in an old pub.
The 1884 OS map shows two distinct pubs where the Suffolk now stands, perhaps confirming this?
NOTE: Is this the correct Bear & Crown? (another is also listed in London Rd) - let Nigel know if you have more information
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)