Newmarket Red Lionhistorical era: ancient
closed about 1820
grid reference TL 645 635Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 28/08/2015
The Newmarket Shops website tells us that the Red Lion stood where Rous Road now joins the High Street.
Mentioned in the Ipswich Journal** in January 1776.
January 13th 1776
Yesterday morning about 6 the Norwich coach was stopped about one and a half miles from Newmarket by a highway man who was shot at by a passenger, upon him clapping his horse with his spurs he rode off a yards and fell, he was taken up and carried to the Red Lion Inn in Newmarket but expired an hour after. He had no pistol but used an iron candlestick, he proves to be one Walker whose father sometime kept the Star Inn, Newmarket.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 16 May in 1855 states that :
Also...Two newly erected freehold houses & shops with plate-glass fronts, situate & being at the East End of the Town of Newmarket, in the Parish of All Saints...abutting North on the Public Street, South on part of the Estate of the Marchioness of Hertford, East on houses now, or late, belonging to Mrs Levett, & West, ON PREMISES FORMERLY USED AS AN INN, CALLED THE "RED LION
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)