Ipswich Rampant Horse
previously known as Chequers
St Matthew's St
grid reference TM 161 446
View in Google Earth
last updated 11/04/2015
This was one of the town's most ancient inns; one of only 24 to appear on an assessment of 1689. Stood on the site of the later Crown & Anchor.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 18 Dec in 1802 states that :
The RAMPANT HORSE Inn (Late The Chequers), St Matthews Street, Ipswich - Thomas PRATT, from the Bell, Cornhill...has now fitted up the above house in a commodious stile.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)