Beccles Black Boy
also traded as as: Black Boyshistorical era: late 20th century
last owner Steward & Patteson (Watneys)
grid reference TM 425 899Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 30/12/2016
Since closure it has been demolished for new housing.
The pub can be seen here on the 1883 OS map (it's named on the 1884 Town Plan).
The main picture was shared with us by David Wallace who was pictured in the Beccles and Bungay Journal in April 1971 when he was repainting the exterior of the pub. Described in the paper as "a hazardous business because the public house stands flush with a sharp bend on the busy Lowestoft-Beccles main road." Many thanks to David for sharing this image with us.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)