grid reference TL 956 661Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 10/01/2017
Norton Sadler's Arms
also traded as as: Saddlers' Armshistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed between 1887 and 1904?
The Saddlers' Arms can be seen here on the 1884 OS map.
The Saddlers' Arms was a small shack-like wooden structure which stood next door to a smithy and wheelwright's then owned by William Peck. (since demolished). The pub was at one time run by Sam Bennett who also later ran the Fox and Hounds. His daughter, Ada Goodwin, reputedly referred to it as The Mouse Trap because it was so small.
An older house called "The Old Smithy", is now located on the site and a modern (1990s) house immediately to the left of this building is named "The Old Saddlers House".
It's marked as a beerhouse on OS maps as late as 1887, but not on the 1904 and subsequent sheets, so presumably closed between those dates.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)