Hadleigh King's Arms
grid reference TM 029 418
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 22/08/2015
The building is now residential; it dates mainly from the 16th and 17th centuries.
A local nickname of the pub was the "Monkey".
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jun 1815 states :
John Whisley Ayers, auctioneer and appraiser, begs publicly to announce his most grateful thanks to his friends and customers for their unbounded liberality since his commencement in the business of the King's Arms Inn, Hadleigh, and confidently assures them, nothing on his part shall be wanting to make them comfortable, and ensure a continuance of their future favours, also informs them that he has laid in a good stock of fine old wines, spirits, cordials, cyder, porter, and old beer, which he is determined to sell on the lowest terms. Note! Housekeepers may be supplied with fine old porter, by sending their casks.
In 1830 Pigots Directory is listed at Benton end.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)