Grundisburgh Half Moon
grid reference TM 228 508
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 13/10/2015
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Half Moon's license was issued in 1842. Whether this was when it was first licensed or when it got a full (ie not just beer) license isn't clear, though the latter seems more probable.
A reference in the Ipswich Journal*** on 11 Jun 1743 to the Half Moon in Grundisburgh.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 19 Sep 1801 states that :
An auction of The HALF MOON INN, Grundisburgh on 7th October, 1801, with cellars, back house, beer house, stable and suitable offices. Orchard containing1 acre of land be same more or less in the occupation of Mr Francis BUTTRUM, whose lease expires 10 Oct 1802
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Apr 1860 states that :
On the 7th April 1860, the death was announced of, Ellen Louisa, the infant daughter of Charles and Elizabeth Palmer, Half Moon Inn, Grundisburgh.
In Nov/Dec 1981 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that Cecil Barrel had retired from the Half Moon and Nick (prev at Bromswell Cherry Tree) had taken over.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)