Hadleigh Flying Chariot
previously known as Royal Oak
92-94 Benton St
grid reference TM 029 418
listed building grade II*
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 12/03/2016
Recorded as a former inn in the Listed Buildings Register. It's shown on OS maps as early as 1885 as "Flying Chariot", but not marked as a pub (by contrast, the nearby King's Arms is clearly marked as an inn), so presumably closed before that date.
The building dates from the 16th century, but most features are from the 17th. It's one of the most beautifully pargetted buildings in the town (see the gallery for pictures).
Reputedly the right-hand side of the building was once used as a butchers with a slaughterhouse to the rear.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)