A sign has recently (October 2014) appeared on the pub saying that it's closed due to ill health. We hope this is only temporary, if you know anything please let us know.
Built late 18th/early 19th century.
Reopened June 2013 after a couple of years closed and under threat of redevelopment.
The pub is now returned to a multi-roomed interior furnished with mostly East Anglian period furniture.
The carpets have gone and the floors are pamments and timber once more.
Stocking 3-4 local real ales at a time and hot food is available Thur,Fri,Sat at lunch time and sun lunch only.
They also encourage live traditional music.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)
The crown is a simple sign to show loyalty to the reigning monarch and apart from the commonwealth era (1648-60) has been a pub sign for over 600 years.