Ipswich Dog & Partridge
previously known as Green Dragon, Partridge?
14 St Margarets Plain / St
last updated 27/12/2013
Green Dragon shown at 14 St Margaret's Plain in 1871 census, which is the same address as Dog & Partridge in 1891 and 1901 censuses.
Shown in WW1 photograph (1914-18) to the left (east) of GT Cook, shoeing smith, 12 St. Margaret's Plain (south side). Not a pub in 1932 Kelly's Directory. (Ipswich at War, John Smith, et. al.)
Also reported as being on Old Foundry Rd. This may actually be another name for the Partridge.
Although one source suggests 1915 for the closure date, the pub is listed in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923, so must have closed after 1923. The entry in the 1909 Rates book has been annotated "Late" Dog & Partridge. This book seems to have been in use until the early 30s, so the 1932 date seems reasonable.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
The green dragon may be a reference to the Earl of Pembroke and appears on their coat of arms. William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk was an important medieval English soldier and commander in the Hundred Years' War and later Lord Chamberlain of England. He was created Earl of Pembroke in 1447 and Duke of Suffolk in 1448.