Ipswich Ocean Queen
also traded as as: New Ocean Queenhistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed June 19th, 1909
4 Salthouse St
grid reference TM 168 441Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 09/01/2017
The Ocean Queen was once known as a resort of prostitutes and dubious characters. In the 1870s it comprised a public house and four adjacent two roomed cottages in a small yard, most of which could be shut off from the street. Some of the buildings were let out furnished, some not. The landlord also reputedly kept a menagerie of birds, monkeys and dogs. By the 1891 census the four cottages each had a young female "housekeeper" in residence.
The pub was destroyed by a Second World War bomb. It was replaced by a Lloyd's bank, which in more recent years was converted into the Briarbank Brewery and tasting room.
The closure date is recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)