grid reference TM 048 586Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 06/01/2019
Stowmarket Bullhistorical era: ancient
opened 1714 circa
Station Rd West
The pub building (sometimes also listed in Cloth Market Lane) stood here until 1843 when it was demolished after many years as a cabinet maker's shop.
It was owned by William Langham in the late 18th century and subsequently by John Cobbold after 1798 - one of the first pubs the Ipswich-based brewer owned in Stowmarket.
Station Road was previously called Bull Lane. An even earlier road name was Dolphin Lane suggesting another even earlier public house was once located nearby?
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)