Glemsford Black Lion
previously known as Lion
Lion Rd, CO10 7RF
grid reference TL 827 482
opened 14th Cent
(details under review)
- Mon-Thu: 1200-1500, 1800-2300
- Fri-Sat: 1200-2300
- Sun: 1200-2230
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Glemsford is Babergh
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 14/12/2015
An ancient local hostelry serving good beer and food.
The building dates from the 16th century.
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Restaurant or separate dining area
Traditional pub games available
Real coal or log fire
Children are welcome
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
The black lion is a heraldic sign mainly related to either Queen Philippa of Hainault - wife of Edward III and a popular 14th cent. queen who was married for over 40 years. Or it may be a reference to Owain Glyndwr - the celebrated 14th cent. Welsh chieftain.