opened 16th cent
Freston Hill (B1456), IP9 1AB
grid reference TM 173 395
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 10/10/2015
Comfortable lounge bar with extension into restaurant.
Closed and on the market in May 2010; was then reported to have been bought from Punch Taverns by Tidal Hill Ltd (may be related to the owners of the nearby Suffolk Food Hall). New owners intend re-opening it at some time in the future (but apparently not the close-future; the building is now boarded-up and derelict-looking).
The core of the building is thought to date from the 17th century, with 18th or 19th century extensions to the left and a 20th century extension to the right.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
The sign is of a long military boot made famous by the Duke of Wellington. In 1830 he was Prime Minister when the the Beer Act was introduced to help create Beer Houses - a new lower tier of premises permitted to sell alcohol. Under the 1830 Act any householder who paid rates could apply, with a one-off payment of two guineas, to sell beer or cider in their home (usually the front parlour) and even brew on the premises. The permission did not extend to the sale of spirits or fortified wines.