Scroll through other Ipswich closed premises
The Grapes stood on the corner of Orford St and Norwich Road and was at an unknown date, incorporated into the Hare and Hounds. This must have happened after 1922, as we have directory records for both pubs in that year. The original Hare & Hounds was the low section of the building to the left when looking across Norwich Road, the Grapes was the taller section at the corner running back along Orford Street.
Listed in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923, so evidently closed after 1923, though probably not much later as the Ipswich Rate book for 1909 (which was used for an unknown period after that) records that it was closed some time during the period the book was in use.
last updated 07/02/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Petty sessions info from Ipswich Journal (Kim Jennings).
(** historical details supplied by Neil Langridge)