grid reference TM 551 938
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 11/04/2015
Corner of Mariner's Score.
There was a Swan Inn at the top of Mariner's score in which Oliver Cromwell was accommodated when visiting Lowestoft in 1643 to root out Royalist supporters and their two old pieces of ordinance which stood at the top of Rant Score. It appeared that not a shot was fired and Cromwell met no local resistance and he went off with his prisoners including the vicar.
Most or all of the original building may have been demolished during modern redevelopments of site. It isn't marked on any available OS map (as early as 1885) so probably closed a long time ago. It isn't clear whether or not the building on-site (and in our photographs) was actually part of the original Swan or merely a newer building on its site.
Pub is pictured in the following book - page 19 - Lowestoft a history & celebration by Ian G Robb
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)