Framlingham Hare & Hounds
previously known as: Dovehistorical era: late 20th century
grid reference TM 287 635Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 15/05/2016
Now residential. Built 17th century.
It isn't clear when the name change occurred, but a document at the Suffolk Record Office lists the Hare & Hounds in 1981, so it must have been before that.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 18 Jul 1741 states :
To be Sold, an ancient and well accustom'd Inn, exceedingly well situated in Framlingham, known by the Sign of the Dove, with good Stabling, Brewing-Office, and other Conveniences thereto belonging, now lett at the Rent of £8 10 shillings per Ann. All Freehold. Enquire of Mr Henry Sherham of Framlingham. N.B. The present Tenant is Tenant at Will
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)