Scroll through other Stowmarket closed premises
Also may have been listed at Stowupland St.
Located between Queens Head and Gordon Temperance hotel and trading as a beerhouse by 1866. Owned for most of the time by the Hatten family of Great Finborough but leased to various breweries including W.G. Ranson's Stowmarket Brewery and later Morgans Norwich Brewery.
According to the 1909 Rates book, it was a beerhouse, "late temperance hotel".
From about 1883 it was known as Norwich Ale Stores.
After closure it was owned by The Dykes family who ran a bicycle shop from the premises, they also ran The Temperance Hotel.
last updated 15/10/2012
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Coach & horses became a means of transport for many travellers during the 17th and 18th cent. especially for those who could not afford their own vehicle. As regular services evolved, they soon encouraged many inns enroute to become natural stopping points for refreshments - with journeys broken into stages (about 8 miles) - and many eventually provided stabling to enable regular changes of horses. Their demise started in 1840s with the building of the railway network.