Hundon Red House (older)
closed 1935 circa
grid reference TL 728 512
View in Google Earth
last updated 11/04/2015
Demolished to make way for the nearby airfield (RAF Stradishall) which was built from 1935 onwards and was one of the first pre-war airfields to have concrete runways.
It had been open since before 1882, as this advertisement in the Bury & Norwich Post*** makes clear:
August 1st 1882
The beerhouse known as Hundon Red House for sale with 11 acres of arable land with a bakers and grocers shop attached. Knocked down to Mr Webb from Stradishall for £600.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)