Woodbridge Duke of Yorkhistorical era: ancient
Barrack Rd (and Ipswich Rd)
grid reference TM 259 482Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 09/01/2017
This ancient pub was demolished a long time ago and up to the end of the 20th century was the site of a garage. In 1999 the garage was itself demolished and the Seal (since renamed the Duke of York) was built on the site.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
There have been many Dukes of York - the song (Grand Old D of Y) usually refers to Frederick Augustus (1763-1827), second son of George III. He commanded the English army in Flanders in 1794-95. But the song misrepresents the facts as he was only 31, had 30,000 men and had no hills close to where he was fighting. Some claim it could be a reference to Woodbridge Rd hill (close to central Ipswich) when an army barracks was located a little further along the same road?