Scroll through other Weybread closed premises
We have examined all available Hoxne licensing records (1913-1968) without finding any mention of this pub. In addition, it isn't marked on any OS map (as early as 1885); maps up to 1889 show it as a smithy. It seems likely the pub closed a long time ago.
The 1871 census lists the Queen's Head near the Horseshoes, which may be this pub.
last updated 08/12/2013
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
The California Gold Rush (1848–1855) began on in January 1848, when gold was discovered by James Wilson Marshall at Sutter's Mill, in Coloma. Over 300,000 men, women, and children headed to California soon after - early gold-seekers were called "forty-niners," (as a reference to 1849).