Sudbury British Volunteer
also traded as as: Volunteer, Horseshoeshistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
opened 1860s ?
5 Burkitt's Ln
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 09/01/2017
This pub was open by 1871 and was certainly still open in 1905, as this item from the Suffolk Free Press shows:
August 16th 1905
8 deaths were reported in a week at Sudbury amongst them was Private Charles Ambrose who had enjoyed an army pension for 43 years, his death occurred in the Volunteer Inn where he had been lodging for a few years. He was a native of Gt Henny and joined the 73rd Foot in 1840 at Sudbury and saw service in that regiment in two Kaffir wars and in the Indian Mutiny, he took part in the American Blockade from 1845 to 1846, he was in South America, then on the 12th of August 1846 landed in the Cape of Good Hope in 1858, he went to India and returned to England in 1861, he had distinguished himself in the Kaffir wars 1850-51, he left the army in 1862 after 21 years 32 days service.
George Sargent is listed in Kelly's Directory as a beer retailer at 5 Burkitt's Lane in 1896 - could this be the same establishment?
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
 News report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society.