Scroll through other Bury St Edmunds closed premises
Correspondence from Richard Green (June 2008) helps to substantiate this as an inn but still offers no name at present. According to Richard in 1841 there were two innkeepers in Churchgate Street, one of which was Thomas Oldman (one of his ancestors). Both Thomas, his father and his grandfather had been innkeepers there since around 1750. Thomas Oldman died intestate in 1788 and his goods (with a total value of £660 15s 3d) were eventually left to his widow, Elizabeth Oldman. Goods, Chattels and Credits of the deceased then included 12 Rush Matted Chairs and a square dining table in back parlour, 5 Dining Tables in the front parlour, 22 china and stone Mugs in the bar. Interestingly the inventory also included a Brewhouse with a fixed copper with furnace and irons, lead curb and Lid, Lead Wort Pump, Hop cleanse, three coolers, Mash tub with a brass tap, Lead under Back, square Guile, Two pair stops, three Jets, Rudder Tunnell, 5 beer pipes and pieces, Cowle, Four tubs and Keelers, five troughs, poker, crome, pair of iron dogs & slings &cr. The inn had 4 bedrooms (one with three beds and one with four) and a "Soldiers' Room" that contained three beds.
(historical information from Richard Green - also see http://www.rgreen.org.uk/TOinv.html for more details.)
The building dates from the 16th century, though the façade dates from the 19th.
listed building grade II
last updated 24/09/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)