grid reference TL 874 413
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 11/04/2015
It's been claimed that the Chequers stood where the Town Hall now stands, but since we have a news report about the pub from 1856 and the Town Hall was built in 1828, this seems to be wrong.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.