Framlingham Griffin Inn
grid reference TM 285 634
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 15/04/2016
access to bar from side passage.
The frontage dates from the mid-19th century, though the core of the building is known to be much older. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History tells us that a deed of 1686
describes The Griffin Inn as lying between the Crown Inn and the Lion Inn Yard.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
A griffin is a fabulous monster - half eagle and half lion - popular in heraldry and often spelt griffon or gryphon.