Scroll through other Lowestoft closed premises
Has been reported at number 6, but the 1910 Lowestoft Rate book places it at number 75, when the pub was owned by Youngmans & Preston. (Road was renumbered between 1901 & 1911)
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Sep 1880 states that :
Mr T Sayer made an application to transfer the license for the Fisherman’s Arms to new premises situated on the corner of Battery green Road. There was a strong objection to the proposed new site as the area was considered quiet and respectable. It was also where church goes congregated on a Sunday morning as it was the principal route from town avoiding the nuisance of Herring Fleet Score. A further objection was that the Inn would be opposite the newly acquired vicarage. The application was withdrawn in the face of such strong opposition.
last updated 02/09/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)