closed April 30th, 1965
last owner Lacon's
grid reference TM 117 669
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Brockford is part of the Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford parish
last updated 11/04/2015
Built early 16th century.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in 1870 (Aug-13) when William Bullock was landlord states:
"Margaret Clarke broke into the Griffin and stole a 13lb ham. Bullock caught her before she got too far. She claimed she was carrying the ham to Eye for a man. The jury found her guilty and she received 3 months hard labour."
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in 1871 (Aug-05) when William Bullock was landlord states:
"Bullock was a witness in the trial of a George Girling who was convicted of highway robbery with violence and received 9 months hard labour and 20 lashes of the cat."
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from the Eye licensing records.
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
A griffin is a fabulous monster - half eagle and half lion - popular in heraldry and often spelt griffon or gryphon.