Ipswich Corn Exchange Tavern
previously known as Three Tuns
Victorian or Edwardian
grid reference TM 162 446
View in Google Earth
last updated 08/09/2012
Stood roughly where the north-east corner of the Town Hall now stands.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 06 Jan in 1860 states that :
"The Corn Exchange Tavern, Cornhill, Ipswich, to be let, now doing a good trade…immediate possession…having lately been made a Government Rendezvous for the Recruiting Services, it will be free from licenses & some of the usual taxes. Valuation about £170. The income from beds is double the amount of the rent."
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 29 Oct in 1860 states that :
3 Public Houses to be Put Off Immediately:- The Corn Exchange Tavern, Cornhill, Ipswich; The Half-Moon, Walton & The Lord Nelson, Holton"
(No landlords noted)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)