Scroll through other Brandon closed premises
The Great Eastern Railway was a hotel & posting house in 1883 John Hardy was also a hearse & mourning coach proprietor and a farmer.
It seems likely that the Railway Tavern listed in the 1869 Post Office Directory as being in Bridge Street is actually the same as the Railway Hotel. There seems to be an overlap in landlords between here and the Great Eastern, so it's possible these were other names for that establishment.
last updated 16/05/2013
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(Slater's Royal National and Commercial Directory 1850 from Ken Griffin)
The GER formed in 1862 by amalgamation of the Eastern Counties Railway with smaller railways: the Norfolk Railway, the Eastern Union Railway, the Newmarket and Chesterford Railway, the East Norfolk Railway, the Harwich Railway, the East Anglian Railway and the East Suffolk Railway among others.