Newmarket Black Bull
last updated 03/11/2012
Possibly an earlier name for the Bull?
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 07 Sep in 1803 states that :
To be Let or sold, the Black Bull, Newmarket, now in the occupation of Mrs CHAMBERS; Mr George DOBITO is the proprietor - comprising 3 good parlours, kitchen, cooking kitchen, bar, pantries & store closets, on the first floor; convenient attics, excellent cellars, commodious store-rooms, stabling for 40 horses, chaise-house; 5 butcher's shops in the yard, 2 shops in the Market-place, 16 hog-pens in the yard, in which the cattle market is kept, subject to toll to the estate, likewise a barn & farm-yard near the above - The whole of the premises are freehold, moderately assessed to parochial rates & the Land Tax is redeemed. The contiguity of the inn to the Market cannot fail to command that great run of business which it has maintained for a series of years; it is likewise the Excise-Office.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(1830 Pigots Directory supplied by Sandra Easom)