grid reference TL 864 795Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 03/03/2019
Barnham Grafton Arms
also traded as as: Dine India, The Venuehistorical era: 21st century
closed approximately 2016
A134, IP24 2PA
A former coaching inn retaining stables to the rear.
Originally known as the Grafton Arms, it was renamed the Venue 2010/2011.
When visited in September 2013 it had been renamed "Dine India". It offered an Indian restaurant and takeaway, but still appeared to retain a small "proper" bar area, though no Real Ale was visible on the bar.
In June 2016, a resident of the village told Radio Suffolk's Lesley Dolphin that "The Indian is no longer there". We had a look later that month and found the site being redeveloped. The building was still looking tatty when visited in May 2017.
It's not certain exactly when it closed, but it was after September 2013.
The pub can be seen on this old OS map from about 1903 (larger map)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
The title of Duke of Grafton was created in 1675 by Charles II of England for his 2nd illegitimate son by the Duchess of Cleveland, Henry FitzRoy. The most famous duke was probably Augustus FitzRoy, 3rd Duke of Grafton, who served as Prime Minister in the 1760s. The family seat is Euston Hall in Suffolk.
In 1900 the Duke of Grafton was listed a lord of the manor & principal landlowner in the parish of Barnham. He also owned a tile & brick field and restored the parish church, dedicated to St Gregory).